CAPE TOWN TOWNSHIP TOUR


As a black African gentleman, a township does not fascinate me because I grew up in and around townships, I had friends in the township, I speak the language and I attended school in the township. So, the question was always going to be “What’s really there that I haven’t seen before …?” Or “What’s really there to excite me…?”
For most of us it has become our way of live, more like we have accepted the situation… I mean, it’s normal.

That was me late last year responding to my international guests' invitation to join them for a Cape Town Township tour, but as most of you already know from my previous blogs that I am an adventure junkie, I agreed because I had nothing to lose - They assured me that things are different when you visit a place you think you know as visitor or an outsider and with an open mind to learn.

I remember we landed that morning at Cape Town International airport, our shuttle was already waiting for us, we were transferred to our hotel, and we checked-in and immediately went to Long Street at City Sightseeing offices to start our vacation with a Township tour offered by LAGUGU tours. LAGUGU is a name derived from Langa and Gugulethu, two popular Cape Town townships.




HISTORY OF LAGUGU

The Urban Areas Act was passed in 1923 as a way of forcing black and coloured Africans to take up residence in allocated areas. Langa and Gugulethu are two such areas. Langa was opened in 1927 as a residence for those who were removed from Ndabeni near Maitland. Close to Langa, Gugulethu was established in 1958 to accommodate the overflow from Langa Township, as well as migrant workers from the Eastern Cape. The township’s population quickly grew to over 27,000 by 1963. Today, both Langa and Gugulethu continue to be vibrant communities of Cape Town.

THE TOWNSHIP TOUR

Whilst hopping on and hopping off our lovely bright red township taxi, engaging and learning about the oldest township in South Africa, Langa and a neighbouring township Gugulethu, we passed the beer hall, Dom Pass museum, Sobukwe square and sang a Brenda Fassie song which I believe she must have turned in her grave when she heard our terrible voices – may her soul rest in peace.
We drank umqombhothi (traditional beer) and ate a smiley (sheep’s head).





We were introduced to the vibrant township community, the bustling Langa Arts Quarter, and visited local market for arts and crafts and a shebeen. This is when I started to realise that things we take for granted, are a dream to most people. We learnt about real daily struggles of most community members and how they keep themselves entertained, motivated and hopeful under such harsh and what seemed unfair circumstances.




What I liked about this tour is that our guides and chaperones were all local boys and girls so you get a real life experience through the eyes of a local and you know that your donation or tour fee helps to keep someone employed in order to put bread on the table. You are actually contributing to the livelihood of that individual and his/her family. After the tour, you will definitely leave with a different perspective on how you look at any township.




Once we’ve learnt and worked up an appetite, we headed to Mzoli’s for some shisa nyama (braai meat) and some few drinks. Mzoli’s is a braai spot made popular by the celebrity chef Jamie Oliver when he visited Cape Town couple of years ago.




My friends left the township seeing, smelling, feeling, hearing, tasting and walking the township like  locals. They also learnt some few township words to take back home and to entice their entire families and friends about his wonderful experience in Cape Town.



You can book this tour through me by sending an e-mail to tebogo@pinpinmedia.co.za
Remember to follow me on Instagram @tebogo_pinpin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog