HIKING THE TABLE MOUNTAIN | FOR THE FIRST TIME


Let me confess – For the past 5 years that I’ve been visiting Cape Town on annual vacations, I have never ridden in a Table Mountain Aerial cable car. My ticket days were always either cloudy and cold, long queues, not having enough time, having other plans to explore more Cape Town areas and adventures or other exciting and unique tour activities.




As most of you who follow me on Instagram are aware that I made a decision to relocate to Cape Town after spending 16 years in Johannesburg, I promised myself that one of the first things I would do when I settle in Cape Town would definitely be riding in a Cable Car to the top of Table Mountain. Did I have hiking on my mind? Not at all! That mountain looks challenging by just looking at it from all angles and I always said people who hike that mountain are crazy because the Cable Car is there for a reason.


One day a friend of mine asked me if I would like to join him on a hiking trip to climb Table Mountain, you can imagine the look on my face! Of course I said NO, but he assured me that it would be lots of fun because he had already done it three times. Peer pressure got into me and I agreed but at the back of my head I knew I was going to regret for agreeing to this "craziness". He gave me three weeks to prepare myself mentally, emotionally and physically.

HIKING DAY

The day finally came and we started at Platteklip Gorge entrance at around 7:00am - Mother Nature was on our side because the sun stayed inside the clouds until we were few metres from the top, and this made it very less tiring. Platteklip Gorge entrance is known to be one of the most popular paths for stunning views of the Lions Head, Signal hill, Devils Peak, Robben Island and the City Bowl.
It is a strenuous, but safe and the easiest hike that takes about 1 and a half hours to 3 hours depending on your fitness to reach the top and another 1 to 2 hours to explore the top.

Hiking experts say there are about 65 hiking routes leading up to the top of Table Mountain, each unique in terms of views, difficulty, terrain, vegetation or atmosphere. All other routes offer better views and more exciting hiking, but they are either long and uphill or more technical. Choose yours wisely!


There's NO single route that can be nominated as the route with the best views when hiking Table Mountain - people’s appreciation of views differ. So when deciding on a route, consider what type of views you prefer. More importantly, match your fitness level, abilities and sense of adventure with the right route. You’re not going to enjoy any type of view if you’re exhausted or terrified most of the way, unless overcoming your fears or challenging yourself physically is your main motivation for hiking Table Mountain.

THE TOP

We reached the top at around 08:45am (1 hour 45min later), explored some more, congratulated each other, laughed with excitement and took few pictures and videos before descending. When I finally reached down, I felt tired, my legs were shaking but still felt proud of myself for challenging myself like that!




I must say, hiking Table Mountain is one of the 'MUST-DO' outdoor adventures any local or  international traveller should do when visiting Cape Town.

Would I do it again? Of course I would, I am just waiting for someone to invite me - or even better, how about you set up a hiking date with me. Send an e-mail to tebogo@pinpinmedia.co.za


Table Mountain
Thank you for reading, hoping to see you soon!



Follow me on Instagram @tebogo_pinpin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog